Friday, August 26, 2011

Day Six - interview with Three Cyclists from La Haute Route


Thursday 25 August 2011
Location Auron
Name
Josie Heade
Where From
Windsor England 
Age Bracket
36
Why Haute Route
It is a challenge and it gives Stuart (husband) a rest from running. Also I enjoy cycling in France, we’ve done an Etap and done some cycling ourselves in the area. We wanted to ride and not in UK conditions, such as potholes, rain, snow, sleet and in whats more in summer cycling attire. I’m not expecting to be competitive, it's more about the event.
Bike
Felt FW2 - 2008 - a Christmas present because we were signed up for the Etap in 2009. 
Secret for Haute Route
Just showing up, I’ve had a copy of the route pinned at my desk for the last eight weeks, this is all the time that I have actually trained, to encourage me to get on the bike, rather than get the train home (from London). 
Top 3 Excuses
I’ve had the wrong gears all week, my smallest gear was a 25, if I was to do it again it would be min 28. In reality I’m a runner not a cyclist. 
Name
Paul Larsen
Where From
Healesville VIC - now lives on a boat somewhere between London and Namibia. [Note: Paul's is currently going for fastest sailing record - check out http://sailrocket.com/ for more information.]
Age Bracket
41
Why Haute Route
The Sun Tour use to come through Victoria and we’d host riders in our house. I use to watch the TdF, Phil Anderson, on Wide World of Sports and the Haute Route was something that I could sink my teeth into. To ride those winding roads which are used in the TdF, I see it as an honour and to be in that arena is just amazing. 
This (riding) is something that we do on the side of sailing. I had a crash today and I know exactly why I crashed. I even feel satisfied that I crashed because now I have had the whole experience. I can now appreciate the professional riders that much more. I was fascinated watching the TdF and now even more so. I can now sit there, bore people, and say "I’ve been there" and "I know what’s coming up".
Bike
Chris Boardman - Team Carbon Pro 
Secret for Haute Route
I've been training hard, we came here a few weeks before, I wanted to do the Haute Route justice and I wanted to enjoy being the fittest I had been ever in my life. 
Top 3 Excuses
 No excuses
Name
Martin Litterst
Where From
Heidelberg Germany
Age Bracket
48
Why Haute Route
Because I like races over more than 1 day, I did Tour Trans-Alp for four years. Now I’ve done Trans-Alp and Haute Route in one year. This region, I’ve been here, once but haven’t done every Col, it is the col’s of the TdF, the famous ones, specta mountains. Tour Trans-Alp, people from all over the world, very international. I get to meet people from other countries which is very nice. 
Bike
Secret for Haute Route
It is all mental - if I have someone I can fight against that helps me mentally, that makes me stronger, especially in the last climb. Todays sprint HR 170bpm. I am also riding with my friends, I do not want to let my three friends down in Team de Lux (England, Belgium, Germany and Lux - total # in TdL 20 riders)
Top 3 Excuses
If I don’t sleep enough, not good food. Also if it is raining! 

No comments:

Post a Comment