Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day Five - interview with Three Cyclists from La Haute Route

Wednesday 24 August 2011
Location La Salle-les-Alpes


Name
Jaka (Jake) Jausovec jj-cycling.com
Where From
Slovenia (Ljubljana)
Age Bracket
25. Time on ITT 47:06
Why Haute Route
I’m quite good at uphills in Slovenia, I’m also editor of a cycling part of the magazine in Slovenia - Sokol Magazine - outdoor magazine, 1/3 cycling, 1/3 outdoor, 1/3 fitness. 
Bike
Secret for Haute Route
Slept at altitude for 3 weeks at 2,500m in Slovenia in a tent. I also have my own mechanic and helper (Tadej). 
Top 3 Excuses
I’m not the guy with excuses - this is why I wear the t-shirt ‘shut up legs’





Name
Brett McDonald
Where From
Brisbane Australia - based in Zermatt
Age Bracket
33
Why Haute Route
I haven’t spent any time on the bike in the last 6 months so I wanted to get on the bike. I have driven through here before, so I’ve always an ambition to ride the course as well. It is almost impossible to do it alone so to do it as an organised route, perfect. 
SIC - Brett works at 2900m at Monte Rosa Hut 10k from Zermatt. 
Bike
BMC - something - rented - alloy 105
Secret for Haute Route
Get as much rest and recover as you can 
Top 3 Excuses
Lack of bike time this year, you can be fit but not bike fit (see above for reason). I have a sore neck and crook knee (reconstruction) but these don’t stack up, I’m not expecting to win. 

Name
Andrea Scharrer
Where From
Regensburg Germany
Age Bracket
44 - first in total time (!) at this point. Time on ITT 56m
Why Haute Route
We wanted to do one thing together, I did one thing like this, the TransAlp, with a friend of mine now I wanted to do it with my boyfriend Mario.
I have never been in this area before and this was a good chance to see and ride parts from the TdF. 
Bike
Secret for Haute Route
I drink beer, wine and sometimes I smoke cigarettes. I can’t hold discipline, I like to live.
Top 3 Excuses
If there is wind, I can’t ride. The hill was not steep enough, 3-4% I hate, the steeper the better, so I love this riding! Not even 8% is steep enough. I have also have a 11-32 cassette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment