Wednesday, August 10, 2011

10 August 2011 #21 Macon


Macon pronounced Mac-On as in ‘getting my Mac - On’

Food - the pain-o-chocolate near Lyon the other day as I was waiting out the rain. Yummy to eat and even better watching the pouring rain while I stayed dry ... at least till I rode off in the dry with wet roads ... you can’t have everything.  
Weather - see above, rain! Then again the last 2 days have just been prefect for riding, if this is summer they’re missing out on the heat but I’ll take cooler days for riding that stinking hot TDU 40C days. 
Mode of Transport - the strange looking machines that are out in force at the moment pruning the vines back in the region of Bourgogne, near Macon. It just ads to the allure of riding through wine country. 

Conversation - there isn’t much English going on at the moment, even the Bold and Beautiful, Garfield and Desperately Seeking Susan are all overdubbed. Funny even if I am trying to understand. PS B&B was being watched by my ‘roomie’ - I was just enjoying my breakfast. 
Animal - the field cats from yesterdays ride, they were everywhere. Now I’m not a huge fan of cats and back home they kill a lot of precious wildlife ... maybe this is why they don’t seem to have much wildlife around here!? 
What else of note: welcome to France in August - everyone is on holidays. It really is quite amazing but good for them, they work to live, not live to work, I think that is how it goes. 

Parting thought of the day/blog: The legs are holding up, still dreaming of a flat Haute Route! Today was a shorter 50k ride with some good hills. Tomorrow I head off, hopefully, with a local bike store owner to see some of the country side from a local’s perspective. He is an ex-racer, even won the tour of Cuba, watch out legs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment