Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day Five - interview with Three Cyclists from La Haute Route


Wednesday 24 August 2011
Location Pra Loup

Name
Lynn Girdwood
Where From
Glasgow 
Age Bracket
37
Why Haute Route
It was Jo’s fault (her teammate - interviewed Jo on first day). It is also a challenge, I’ve only done a few sportifs, I was over in Annecy (France) last summer and did some of the Cols from the TdF and wanted to do some more. 
Bike
Secret for Haute Route
My gloves - I’ve used the same ones each day, I’ve also got two pair of shoes but only using the one set. NOTE - Jo and Lynn are currently in first place in the Womens Duo standings
Top 3 Excuses
I don’t do excuses. 


Name
Graham Edwards
Where From
Bath UK - two from the Bath Club
Age Bracket
46
Why Haute Route
Done the Etap three times, Marmot twice and I suppose I’ve done a lot of one day events. I originally planned to do the coast to coast ‘Pyrenean Raid’ but once I saw this, I couldn’t resist. It ticked all the boxes, it was timed, it was 6 sportifs back to back, had a TT hill climb and in the mountains. What’s better than riding the classic mountains. 
Bike
Focus Izalco - bought through Wiggle
Secret for Haute Route
I read up a lot more on recovery, compression tights and protein recovery drinks. I bought some carbon wheels, tubulars, and have no regrets in buying them. They are fantastic, best bike investment I’ve ever made, Olympic Gold, Jan Ullrich’s wheels.
Top 3 Excuses
Not really an excuse but I was concerned of failure, doing 7 days riding on the trot and really wondered what the level of competition would be like. 

Name
Simon Kenyon
Where From
London England
Age Bracket
42
Why Haute Route
The Haute Route seemed like a good idea when it was announced, and it still seems like a good idea. Originally entered as a solo but now as a team of 4. Surprising we are winning (the team classification) by miles.
Bike
Secret for Haute Route
Recovery - including eating, staying off feet and compression gear (currently not wearing due to smell).
Top 3 Excuses
If I do have an excuse it would be due to not eating pre ride, mainly due to be unorganised. Thank goodness, it hasn’t happened while at HR.

No comments:

Post a Comment