Friday, July 1, 2011

Fri 1 July 2011 #3 a bike riders dream


Food - I’m a cooking dinner tonight so WATCH OUT! Smoked salmon and vodka, one of favorites, who knows who is coming for dinner but I’m sure there will be a few extras as this seems to be the Spanish/Basque way. I’m also going to be a little hungry after the 4 hour MTB ride today in the Basque country, a great ride with more ups than downs, cheers to Gorka and Anna for the guide - BTW Anna rode in the Giro de Italia last year for women, need I say “impressive” and she can climb! 
Weather - this is what everyday should be like, cool breeze, sun and more sun with 90% of the riding in the shade.  
Car - Gorka’s “egg” a 4 door white Cleo - it was overheating this morning when he had to run out to get my bike ... he made it home then added some water and down came the heat ... perfect as we needed it to go riding today. 
Conversation - the conversation with the waitress today at lunch, who knows what she said but an Alan Davis photo was on the wall and I said “Australian-o” then pointed to myself and said “Australian-o” - she went off for about 10 seconds in Spanish and all I could do was smile. Or was it the interpretation of a conversation down the beach ... Girl 1 “I would never go topless at the beach with my boyfriend and his best friend” - Girl 2 - “I wouldn’t either, he’d just spend the whole time looking at your breasts!” Obviously topless bathing in EU could almost be considered the ‘norm’.
Animal - is a Specialized Stump-jumper an animal or a MTB? It was wailing today, it even bottomed out a few times in the front suspension but it got me through the entire day. It was great to ride an old-skool bike again ... makes me miss my good old Trek 7000. 
If must know about real animals, there were more cows today but the horses take the cake, in particular the foal on the trail up the top of our last hill. 
What else of note: Last nite one of the guests at dinner was Inigo Altuna, he owns and runs Cortadores y Venenciadores - what is this you ask, he cuts ham’s, he has won awards, needless to say I was CAPTIVATED over dinner hearing all about his skill! Different parts of a ham leg taste different and he HAND cuts the meat with a knife as fine as any machine slicer, he also makes art out of the ham leg, he has won awards for this as well, I could go on but I won’t. 
Parting thought of the day/blog: Pamplona tomorrow ... running with the bulls starts 6 July, it’ll be a hoot but I can’t say that I necessarily agree with killing bulls in the fashion ... are you with me or against me?

No comments:

Post a Comment